Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I don't want to be a writer... I want to be an author!

Alas, let me warn you that this entry will not have a bunch of colorful photos or impressive pieces of work. Instead this is about that other passion of mine: writing. The only problem is people often misunderstand that writing in itself is not something that I dream of, its the act of telling a story in a beautiful and cohesive way. I love disappearing into exaggerated worlds and wonderful ideas. So I guess it's no surprise that I love the young adult urban fantasy genre; which just so happens to be what I write as well.

My most recent book fits in well with the other young adult series. Outlandish creatures, dangerous foes, incredible strengths and abilities, all wrapped around a girl trying to figure out how to live a normal life. Little does she know that she is just as fantastic as the world around her.

Unlike the majority of young adult books this girl is not in school. You see, I disagree that YA spans just the tweens and high schoolers. It reaches into the early 20's, and I am proof.

Anyway I'm not here to discuss the specifics of my book (as much as I would like to, but I don't want my ideas stolen) I just wanted to confide in my ever amounting list of three people that read this blog that I am very nervous and anxious to begin the next phase. I want so much to be published, and I know I'm not the next Stephanie Meyer or J.K. Rowling, but I want my book to give all the young people like me a chance to escape from the world...even if it's just for a little while.

So as I begin to write my query letter and prepare myself for the inevitable (and multiple) rejections I just want you to wish me luck. I have a journey ahead of me and it's going to be rough.

Just remember...I don't want to simply write. I want to tell stories and entrance readers...I want to be an author.

1 comment:

  1. So, you're probably already published by now, but I was reading through your blog after I saw the toothless pattern, and I just wanted to say good luck :}

    ReplyDelete