Friday, April 1, 2011

April and a Brain Slug

 
So I was making a brain slug as part of a commissioned project and thought, what the heck, I'll make my own pattern and have fun posting it. I know there's about twenty million other patterns for brain slugs out there. I mean, let's face it, they are just a ball with a floppy bottom and antennas. However, since I hate following a pattern while I crochet, watch TV, and drink tea, I have the tendency to just make it up as I go along. So here it is. Futurama Brain Slug-Mostly Nerdy Crochet style.


The color is a bit bleached out, which is strange since I deliberately avoided any direct light. I took one picture with a flash (gasp! I know, total taboo right?) and his colors show a little better. He's actually a very pleasant bright green without being too electric. The yarn is called "Moss" and is 75% recycled cotton. Well, actually it's now 100% recycled as I rescued this poor skein from the thrift shop.


Ok, so one more pattern to fill the Internet searches with:

Futurama Brain Slug!

Magic circle with 6 sc. Inc to 12

Inc, sc, inc, sc etc for 1 row

inc, 2 sc, inc, 2 sc for 2 rows

inc after every 5th sc for 1 row

inc after every 10th sc for 1 row

inc after every 20th sc for 2 rows

then do about 12-15 = rows

dec every 4th stitch for 2 rows, then every 3rd for 1 row, every 2nd... you get the idea. Stuff and finish closing.

sl st back to the edge

Tentacles:

sc, dc,tc,tc,dc, 4 sc, dc,tc,tc,tc,dc,dc,sc....just make a wavy base using single crochet, double crochet, and triple crochets. Vary and repeat until you've made one round.

1=row

sc in the "low" spots (close to the body) and dc on the ends of the tentacles for one row. Just to give a more pronounced wave.

sl st back at the beginning and you're done! Oh, wait. No you're not.

Antenna: make two

ch 16, 3 dc in 2nd ch from hook. sl st back to end of chain. Attach to body.

Don't forget to cut out an eye and pupil and sew them on. I used felt.




Well that's all. Today has been a very odd Friday, but I'm glad I have something to show for it. Oh and happy April everyone!


9 comments:

  1. Hahaha! You should attach him to a headband. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super-new to crochet - but seeing as I'm trying to get a PhD in brain-controlling toxiplasma, it looks like the perfect project!

    What does 'inc' mean, and how does it work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am i possibly being thick and it's the same as 2 sc in one loop?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine: This IS the perfect project for you! Sorry for all my short hand, if you email me I'd be happy to walk you through a few things in more detail. (mostlynerdycrochet@gmail.com) Inc is an increase, where yes, you put two single crochet into the same stitch. dec is decrease, and the "= rows" just means to sc evenly all the way around. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial. Love it, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your work. It's so cute. How did you get the antennas to stay standing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lohi: Fortunately my yarn was stiff enough that the antennas could be positioned on their own. If you're having trouble try crocheting a small tube and placing some pipe cleaner inside :)

    ReplyDelete